Mountain Bike Tours in South Shore
Tours for half-, one- and multi-day mountain biking trips.
What better way to explore the South Shore than by taking part in an adrenaline-fueled and incredibly scenic day- or multi-day biking adventure? With some of the most unique landscape in Central Asia, the southern shore of Lake Issyk-Kul is the ideal mountain biking destination for travelers seeking challenging routes over a fascinating terrain — some routes even offer onward travel to neighboring regions. What’s more, cycling offers a unique vantage point that you just won’t find from a car window, and it offers a race of adrenaline that’s just not as evident on one of our many nearby trekking routes.
Our biking tours match any interest and skill level. Select an easy-going and family-friendly half-day beginner ride near Bokonbaevo for an engaging and fun day of cycling. All tours include high-quality bikes, helmets and biking gear, and a picnic lunch. Choose well and you’ll see that some routes include optional swimming, which is pretty much the best way to cool off after a day of biking fun in the sun!
Advanced cycling tours offer 100+ kilometer rides specifically designed by experienced mountain bikers who know exactly what it takes for a thrilling and adventurous mountain bike tour — our cycling routes take you through the best valley and mountain corridors in the Tian Shan Mountains.
Regardless of the level of difficulty, each mountain biking tour provides ample opportunity to soak in the mind blowing nature, admire panoramic views of Lake Issyk-Kul, interact with nomadic life on the jailoos (summer mountain pastures), and enjoy the mountain air so appreciated by travelers visiting Kyrgyzstan’s South Shore of Lake Issyk-Kul.
Note: If you have a group of five or more people please be in touch about pricing. A second mountain biking guide and support vehicle are needed after five people for safety purposes.
All bike tours below depart from the CBT Bokonobaevo office (Bolot Mambetov Street #16). If you need to arrange a pickup or transport from your guest house or yurt camp, please let us know during the booking process.
All Mountain Biking Tours Include:
- Local guide
- Mountain bike rental
- Helmet & protective gear
- Transport / support vehicle
Boz Salkyn - Kaji-Say Bike Tour
Considered the easiest but as well most scenic of 1/2-day bike treks on offer in South Shore, transport to Boz Salkyn jailoo (summer pasture) serves as the starting point for riders. Set amidst a countryside of Kyrgyz nomads and traditional yurt dwellings, grazing livestock and packs of horses, the jailoo at Boz Salkyn serves as a cultural highlight before starting the ride. A multi-hour descent from the pasture, following the beautiful Kaji-Say river and Kapchigai Gorge leads riders eventually to the shores of Lake Issyk Kul, a favorite leisure spot for lunch and a quick dip in the water before being transported back to Bokonbaevo.
- Boz-Salkyn: Start at this yurt camp and head to the Boz Salkyn pasture, where you’ll have a beautiful panoramic views of Lake Issyk-Kul.
- Kajy-Say River: It’s a downhill ride from the start and you’ll follow alongside the beautiful Kajy-Saz River, which runs between the Kapchigai Gorge. You’ll enjoy the chance for an easy cycle with the sounds of birds and rushing water as your only companions (and your guide, too!).
- Lake Issyk-Kul: Your ride ends on the shore of the beautiful Lake Issyk-Kul, where you can swim and relax after your ride.
|Boz Salkyn - Kaji-Say Mountain Bike Tour, Price per Person||1 person||2 persons||3 persons||4 persons|
|Total price per person, including transportation||5,800 KGS / $85||3,475 KGS / $50||2,700 KGS / $40||2,315 KGS / $34|
Boz Salkyn - Tosor Gorge - Skazka “Fairy Tale” Bike Tour
It's clear why this trail is a favorite amongst riders in the South Shore of Lake Issyk-Kul. Transport takes bikes and riders directly to Boz Salkyn where riders then enjoy a 1-day moderate mountain bike ride along various mountain pastures with panoramic views of Lake Issyk-Kul in the distance before a thrilling descent through Tosor Gorge and on to picturesque Skazka Canyon at the base of the lake shoreline. You'll have an opportunity to explore Skazka Canyon and hop in the lake for a swim.
- Boz-Salkyn: Start this jailoo (high pasture) where you’ll have great views of Lake Issyk-Kul below.
- Great Wall of China: The paths here are quite easy and family-friendly. You’ll bike through a canyon affectionately called the Great Wall of China. This memorable 5km stretch seem to guard the sleeping castles and amazing animals created you can find in the sandstone.
- Skazka (Fairytale) Canyon: Take in the unique scenery of the Skaza Canyon, where sandy red rock formations take on a variety of fabulous forms. This is one of the favorite natural spots in the region just near the shores of the lake. Possible to jump in the water to cool off afterwards.
Note: Advanced cyclists can extend this into a challenging two-day bike ride with the first day riding from Bokonbaevo to Boz-Salkyn (17 km, 700-meter ascent). After spending the night at a yurt camp there, continue on the second day as described above.
|Boz Salkyn - Skazka Canyon Mountain Bike Tour, Price per Person||1 person||2 persons||3 persons||4 persons|
|Total price per person, including transportation and support vehicle||8,300 KGS / $122||4,750 KGS / $70||3,535 KGS / $52||2,940 KGS / $43|
Salt Lake Bike Tour
This easy 20 km trek originates from Ak-Sai village approximately 12 km west of Bokonbayevo. Upon getting dropped off, enjoy a brief 2 km ascent before a near 8 km descent down little known yet picturesque canyons to gorgeous Lake Issyk-Kul. It’s a straight shot along the shores to local hot spot "Salt Lake." Enjoy time to relax there and enjoy your picnic lunch before your pickup and return to Bokonbayevo.
- Salt Lake: This easy route takes in one of the most recently discovered natural formations in the area. Discovered in 2001, the high salt content allows one to read a newspaper while floating high on the surface of the lake.
- Lake Issyk-Kul: This bike route gives ample access to the beautiful Lake Issyk-Kul, which is just 400 meters from the Salt Lake — meaning you get a two-for-one lake experience on this bike tour!.
- Therapeutic Muds: Unique therapeutic muds along the shoreline rejuvenate the skin. Soak in the microelements and minerals as a reward for your hard work!
|Salt Lake Mountain Bike Tour, Price per Person||1 person||2 persons||3 persons||4 persons|
|Total price per person, including transportation and support vehicle||6,800 KGS / $100||3,975 KGS / $60||3,035 KGS / $45||2,565 KGS / $38|
Kolbel - Bel-Tam Bike Tour
A one-day easy mountain bike tour for beginners with highlights including the Tashtar-Ata mountain range (3,000 m), considered sacred by locals and used in summer months by Kyrgyz nomads as they tend to grazing cattle and yaks. With a smooth downhill ride allowing along the Jazuu-Kechu river, photo opportunities abound as you make your way back towards Bokonbaevo. Riders end the trek at famous Bel-Tam Yurt Camp, located directly on lake Issyk-Kul. Enjoy the cool and relaxing waters before lunch is served and transport returns you to the center of Bokonbaevo.
- Tashtar-Ata: Enjoy the massive pasture behind the Tashtar-Ata sacred mountains, which rests at nearly 3,000 meters. Yurts fill this beautiful spot during the summer as Kyrgyz nomads grazing their cattle and yaks in there verdant pasture.
- Jazuu-Kechu River: You’ll get some serious mileage under your belt as you follow the downhill route along the Jazuu-Kechu River. This is a smooth ride, allowing plenty of time to enjoy the scenery.
- Bel-Tam Yurt Camp: Option to explore or stay at Bel-Tam Yurt Camp, where you can optionally take a kayak tour, swim in the lake, or just relax.
|Salt Lake Mountain Bike Tour, Price per Person||1 person||2 persons||3 persons||4 persons|
|Total price per person, including transportation and support vehicle||5,800 KGS / $85||3,475 KGS / $50||2,700 KGS / $40||2,315 KGS / $35|
Bokonbaevo - Eki-Naryn Bike Tour
One day of mountain biking not enough during your stay in South Shore? Then check out this 4-day mountain bike trail starting outside Bokonbaevo on famous Tosor pass (3,900 m). If that isn’t enough to pique your interest, what about a traditional yurt stay on the jailoo pastures, sleeping and interacting amongst local nomads (optional)? Cap off the last days riding thru Eki-Naryn Gorge, considered as one of the most spectacular of gorges in the country.
You'll have a support vehicle with you the entire way, so you can leave your camping and other gear inside.
- Tosor Pass: Start your bike ride at Tosor Pass, which is located at 3,900 meters. At the top, you’ll enjoy impressive 200-degree views — from views of Lake Issyk-Kul to glaciers, mountain peaks, and the wonderful Uch Emchek Valley, which is renown for its beautiful lakes.
- Yurt camp: A clear highlight of this bike tour is the chance to stay in nomad camp high on the jailoo (a summer pasture in the mountains). You’ll sleep in yurts and participate in the everyday life of nomads. In the evening, freshly prepared traditional dishes await you.
- Eki Naryn Gorge: On your last days you will pass through the most beautiful gorge in all of Kyrgyzstan — the Eki Naryn Gorge. Local guides love its unique rock formations and are always impressed by confluence of Naryn’s two most beautiful (and huge!) rivers.
Note: Prices below do not include camping equipment. If you need to If you need to rent camping equipment, CBT Bokonbaevo can assist you. Basic camping gear pricing includes: Tent (2 persons)=300 KGS/day; Sleeping bag=150 KGS/day; Sleeping mat=50 KGS/day
|Bokonbaevo - Eki-Naryn Bike Tour, Price per Person||1 person||2 persons||3 persons||4 persons|
|Total price per person, including transportation and support vehicle||33,000 KGS / $485||22,000 KGS / $295||15,670 KGS / $230||13,500 KGS / $200|