Chill out with a sunset sauna on the shore of Lake Issyk-Kul!
Experience one of the most unique ways to relax on the shores of Lake Issyk-Kul with your own mobile sauna in a former Soviet military transport vehicle! History buffs will love the chance to see this refurbished vehicle up-close, and trekkers, backpackers, or travelers of any style can appreciate a sauna experience with lakeside views, the sounds of water lapping along the shore, and the amenities you need for a fun and memorable sauna experience.
- De-stress and decompress during a three-hour sauna session inside a completely refitted and refurbished GAZ-66 Soviet military vehicle. It's like no other sauna experience.
- Option to enjoy a lakeside beach barbecue including shashlyk (grilled meat) and other traditional Kyrgyz cuisine.
- Relax with your friends, or make new friends by joining a group of travelers.
Mobile Sauna Tour
3 Hours | 4,000 KGS / group*
*maximum 6 persons
- Tea and refreshments
- Transport to and from Bokonbaevo
- Cold beer and/or other refreshments available for purchase.
- Lake front beach barbecue: 250 KGS/person.
- Massage: 1,000 KGS/person
- Additional hour in sauna: 1,000 KGS
What’s the story behind this cool vehicle?
Your very own mobile sauna is none other than former Soviet military transport vehicle “GAZ-66", which was produced in the mid to late 1980s by the Gorkovsky Avtomobilny Zavod (GAZ). With its base in Nizhny Novgorod, Russia, GAZ was the premiere provider of military grade vehicles during the Cold War. Since then, GAZ has become one of Russia’s most successful automobile manufacturing firms —partnering with General Motors , Daimler Chrysler, Volkswagen, and more.
Gaining legendary status for its off-road capabilities across the former Soviet Union until production ceased in 1999, this van/sauna was found in 2016 in a dusty garage in a remote, mountainous area belonging to old Russian military enthusiast and patriot living nearby Bokonbaevo. Bekzat, local guide and sauna operator, immediately saw the potential in this classic vehicle and made plans to retrofit it to what it is today. The refurbishment process finished in late 2016 and Bekzat even today serves as your personal sauna guru!
A Bokonbaevo resident himself, Beksat will show you and your friends the most impressive operational mobile sauna on the South Shore of Lake Issyk-Kul!
Tour Location and Meeting Point
The meeting point is at the Destination South Shore office at Toichubekov Culture House in the center of Bokonbaevo (37 B. Mambetov Street). We will provide transport to the lakeside beach where you'll enjoy your mobile sauna experience.